2-Alarm Fire Leaves Homeowner Clinging to Life After Daring Rescue by Fighters

At approximately 04:00 hours Boston Police Officers from District E-13 began to smell smoke in the area of their station at the corner of Washington Street and Green Street. Following the smoke and smell Officers quickly made their way to Union Ave about a block away from the station. When units rounded the corner they were met with sights of a building fully involved.

The Officers made attempts to enter the residence to get occupants out, however the fire and smoke proved too much. The Officers evacuated neighbors and called for Fire and EMS. Neighbors informed officers that the house was occupied by a single adult male resident.

Due to reports on scene by Officers, Boston Fire Struck Box 254, Armory Street and Green Street, for 24 Union Ave. Engine 42 reported heavy fire showing on arrival and shortly after Captin Lyons requested a second alarm in anticipation of a person trapped inside.

Firefighters immediately charged multiple lines, attacking the fire from multiple angles and allowing them better access to the home for their search. Well continue to battle employees, firefighters completed their search of the home finding one male occupant unresponsive. They then expertly extricated him from the second floor, down a ladder, and on to an awaiting stretcher.

EMTs and paramedics, already on scene, immediately began to care for the man, and started what appeared to be full cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The man was transported to a local area hospital with white fire department spokes people stated were very serious life threatening injuries.

Eventually firefights were able to knock down the blaze, and the extensive overhaul began. Due to the hoarding type conditions in the home, companies continued to knock down hot spots for hours after the main body of fire had been extinguished.

Once the scene had been deemed safe, investigators from Boston Fire FIU began their investigation of the scene with the assistance of Boston Police Detectives and Crime Scene Response. Sources close to the investigation told us this afternoon that as of now, the fire seems to be accidental and that foul play is not suspected.

No further information is available at this time. This includes the current status of the victim who we have not been able to confirm survived.