Gang Unit On-Sites Fatal Shooting in Dorchester Leading to SWAT Team Response [Exclusive Police Audio]

At about 01:00 hours on Saturday, October 22, 2022, officers assigned to District B-3 were dispatched to the area of 39 Baird Street in Dorchester for a 911 call reporting that a fight was occurring at that address. Officers from the Gang Unit who were in the area also began responding to the scene, just as they arrived on scene they began to scream over the radio that someone had a firearm and that a person was shot. That radio recording can be found at the end of our article.

Officers advised Operations that they had one victim shot to the head and leg as well as a suspect who officers clearly saw fleeing with a firearm into the third floor of a building. The suspect was described as a black male with a black jacket, dark pants, and a firearm in left hand.

Officers could be heard on the radio asking multiple times for a push on EMS as well as more units. Additional Officers from the Gang Unit, as well as the District B-3, the K-9 Unit and the SWAT Team also responded to help. Officers cared for the victim, providing first aid and attempting to save the man’s life.

Other officers surrounded the area, setting a perimeter and trapping the suspect inside. After the area was secured by Officers, the victim was able to be securely transferred to Boston EMS who rendered aid until he arrived at Boston Medical Center. It was at that time that Doctors pronounced him deceased despite all attempts by the first responders.

Tactical Units took control of the scene, with members of the SWAT Team responding from across the City with breaching equipment, ballistic shields and long guns as well as other specialized equipment. Gang Unit members could be heard repeatedly confirming that they had seen the male flee with a firearm up onto the third floor and not return back down. The building was described as a ‘rooming house’ and Officers reported that numerous residents were uncooperative and non-compliant, making this situation even more difficult.

Additional Boston EMTs and Paramedics as well as the Shift Commander all responded and staged due to the dangerous nature of the situation. Luckily their services were not needed. Additionally EDTs, or Emergency Deployment Teams, from Districts across the city were activated and also responded to provide additional man power. Officers evacuated the surrounding buildings out of an abundance of caution given the fact an armed gunman was believed to be on the third floor.

Within 20 minutes of the initial call, Boston Police Officers from the SWAT Team had breached and cleared the third floor. The Team located and detained a total of six people and they were all brought out of the building and at least some of them were transported from the scene by Boston Police for further questioning. The SWAT Team after handing off the suspects from the third floor, then returned to the building, proceeding to clear the rest of the floors for possible threats.

The SWAT Team Commander eventually gave the all clear allowing for members of the Homicide Unit and Crime Scene Response Unit to began to process the scene of the shooting. Investigators could be seen going in and out of the residence until the early morning.

We reached out to Boston Police for additional information however they cited the ongoing nature of the investigation and refused further disclosure. They did tell us that at this time no arrests had been made, leaving more questions than answers as sources on scene had told us that the shooter was one of the multiple subjects taken from the building by the SWAT Team. Additionally unclear is if a firearm was recovered.

What we do know is that at approximately 03:15 hours a man who Boston Police identified as 31-year-old Eric Cordero was driving down Morton Street and was so interested in the police activity he drove his car into one of the parked SWAT vehicles. Officers then discovered that he did not possess a valid drivers license. The Department was able to confirm he was arrested at the scene and booked at District B-3 on charges of unlicensed operation.

The Boston Police Department is actively reviewing the facts and circumstances surrounding this incident. Sources close to the investigation tell us that the investigation is continuing today with multiple search warrants being executed in connection with this incident. Anyone with information is strongly urged to contact Boston Police Homicide Detectives at (617) 343-4470.

Community members wishing to assist in this investigation anonymously can do so by calling the CrimeStoppers Tip Line at 1 (800) 494-TIPS or by texting the word ‘TIP’ to CRIME (27463). The Boston Police Department will stringently guard and protect the identities of all those who wish to help this investigation in an anonymous manner.